Educators are at a crossroads and the global call for institutions to address their inequitable structures is ringing loudly. For teachers and school leaders who are hearing that call, this book offers knowledge and guidance for becoming a Totally Inclusive school.
Each chapter delves into key ideas that are fundamental to addressing the complex challenge of achieving Total Inclusivity – one which encompasses and values racial diversity, gender equality, LGBTQ+ inclusivity, neurodiversity and more. Across the three sections, the authors introduce key terms and concepts important to inclusivity, focused on mindsets, behaviours and systems and structures. Explore how interactions contribute to or impede progress, and engage with tools, stories and reflection points to translate knowledge into practice.
Written in an accessible style with reflective exercises in every chapter, the book will guide educational professionals along the pathway to becoming advocates for inclusivity in their schools and communities.
Table of Contents
Section I: Total Inclusivity and You
2. Identity, Diversity and Intersectionality
3. Implicit Bias, Stereotypes and Prejudice
4. Power, Positionality and Dismantling Inequities Section II: Total Inclusivity and Us
5. Language and Microaggressions
6. Safeguarding Everyone
7. Wellbeing and Creating Totally Inclusive Spaces
8. Leaders and Leading Section III: Total Inclusivity and Your Institution
9. The Total Inclusivity Continuum for Schools
10. Changing Landscapes – Liberating Schools